Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Carpet Industry. How Big Is It Here in the U.S.?

United States and the carpet industry

I was browsing the Internet and I found some interesting statistics that I would like to share with you:

* In 2005, Carpet shipments totaled more than 2 billion square yards or roughly 19 billion square feet. The total amount was almost $14 billion at the factory level.
* 45 percent of the world’s carpet is produced by the United States.
* 85 % of the U.S. carpet is supplied by factories located in Dalton, Georgia.

These were the statistics that the Carpet and Rug Institute has gathered for wall to wall carpeting. I could not find any reliable statistics on hand knotted rugs, but based on my other findings from here and there, the sales volume of hand knotted rugs including tufted and area rugs might amount to $1 billion per year.

I would love to see the information and statistics other experts and scholars have gathered.

Khosrow Sobhe
www.RugIdea.com
310-770-9085

No comments: