Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Rug Blog at RugMaster: Rugs, Rug, Area Rugs, Oriental Carpets

Oriental Carpets and Rugs have gone under my skin and I cannot get rid of them. It is 3:35 am and I cannot sleep. So I though I read my e-mails and post something on my new baby, my RugMaster.blogspot.com

Yesterday, a rug dealer from a town east of Los Angeles visited me. I met him for the first time. He said that he is planning to add area machine made rugs to his existing Persian and Oriental rug business and asked if I was happy with area rugs sale. He has been in Oriental and Persian carpet business for almost forty years. I mentioned that area rugs do not give you that much of a profit unless you can work in volume. The good side of it is bringing foot traffic to your rug store since people can afford buying area rugs as compared with hand knotted carpets and rugs. I gave him few issues of the "Iranian Hand Knotted Rug" quarterly, a magazine which is published in Tehran by the "Iranian Carpet Exporters' Association". I am a board member to this society and I am also the Editor in Chief of this rug journal.

A rug dealer picked up a Persian Tabriz rug he had with us for stain removal. We sold two area rugs. Several more customers visited us but they were not serious buyers. A couple who had bought an old Qashqai kilim last year stopped by to take a look at some rugs. They liked a back background Hameda/Toyserkan rug but were not sure about the size. They said they would measure the entrance of their house and would come back. A couple also visited us two times in two hours. The man wants to buy two small rugs for his mother who lives in South America, but is not sure about the size and color combination. He said they might come back later. He liked two pieces. Since he was going to buy these two small rugs for his mother, his wife was not helping him and showed no sympathy whatsoever, and each time they cam in, his wife said: we got to go!! Would she act the same had she wanted to buy something for her mother. Hell no!!

Paying bills which never stop coming was part of what I did yesterday. Two customers brought two items separately for cleaning and repair. One was a very fine Tabriz rug, 10 x 14, and the other piece was a 10 x 14 Turkish Kilim with pet urine on it.

As far as rug sales is concerned, these two past days were very slow. Maybe buyers are waiting for their pay checks. It is the 27th of February. Two months of the new year have gone by before we know it. TIME FLIES!

Khosrow Sobhe
www.RugIdea.com
310-770-9085

No comments: