Monday, April 21, 2008

Rug Cleaning Cost in Los Angeles

Today, I received this e-mail from a reader of my blog and my website regarding rug cleaning and its cost:

"If you would be so kind as to answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a 9’ x 12’ Chinese silk rug that needs cleaning. One business charges $200 for cleaning wool/machine made rugs, but $450 for cleaning silk rugs.

Another business charges $162 (for the 9’ x 12’ size) no matter what kind of oriental rug it is. They tell me they clean oriental rugs all the time with no problem.

Why does the first place charge more than double for silk while the second place doesn’t care?

Any advice you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated.

I enjoyed your website and blog!"

This is what I wrote to her:

" Thank you very much for your kind words. We usually charge $2/square foot for the wool rugs and $3/SF for silk rugs, but this is not absolute. We have a minimum charge of $75. Some rug dealers send out the rug to be washed in a cleaning/washing facility. In this case, they normally pay $1/SF themselves, so they charge their customers more. The quality of their wash is usually better since in the washing factory, the rug is washed with water and soap (regular detergent). Some rug dealers charge less,because they may clean the rug themselves in their back yard, or adjacent place they might have with special rug cleaning machine. In this case, the rug is not washed with ample water. They only clean the surface and since they do not pay the rug cleaning facility and the washing factory, they can charge less. This is not actual cleaning since it is like steam cleaning. The dust and dirt do not come out in this case."

Best regards,

Khosrow Sobhe

www.RugIdea.com

310-770-9085

No comments: