Saturday, September 27, 2008

Zari, Golden and Silver Fabrics and Textiles from Iran


In an older post dated September 21, 08, I had a review of a kind of Iranian gold wefted fabric made on silk foundation called Zari. I received few comments and also few e-mails asking some questions. Rather than replying to each comment individually, I address the questions here in this new post without repeating the questions. I should also thank my numerous readers who take time to read my posts. Yes, contrary to what the media says and depicts here in the west, the life goes on in Iran with its 75,000,000 population. The total area of the territory of Iran is equal to the areas of France, Spain, Japan and Germany combined.

The Cultural Heritage Organization (CHO) based in Tehran with its branches which are present in all 30 states of Iran is responsible to preserve and promote the ancient and old types of arts and crafts in Iran. This organization has been in existence for many decades. In one of its workshops in Tehran, CHO has a section on Zari fabrics to keep this art and craft alive by providing the looms and material for weaving Zari. They do not sell the production because first of all, the production is not that much as this is a very time consuming and delicate art and cannot be mass produced. Second, these zari fabrics which are in high demand because of their scarcity and fine weave are donated to the religious shrines and mosques in Tehran and other cit cities through out Iran.

Since the price is heavily dependent on the price of gold used in Zari, it is always sold by weight. Last time I asked about the price, I was quoted $15 per one gram. This will be around $6,750 for one pound roughly 454 grams and $15,000 for one kilogram. I do not know whether Zari can be found in the market for sale or not, but if there is an interest, I can ask. I have few new pieces in my collection which I can sell. Some of the photos of these pieces were already posted.

It is 5:45 am and I better get some slip before I go to work. Today is Saturday, and I will go to work between 12:00 and 5:00 pm. I will work with the same hours on Sundays too.

Khosrow Sobhe
www.RugIdea.com
310-770-9085

No comments: